December 11, 2013

Soya awards night in Sydney and Animal Logic visit


Last week was the big awards night for the Qantas Spirit of youth awards and also the one week of the year that I decided to get the flu!  Funny how that happens.  But that didn't stop me from having a great time.
My Soya mentor Marco Marenghi came down from L.A to present the trophy which I was really grateful for, it was a pleasure to meet him up close and personal and talk animation.
Marco has had quite a career in animation working as head of animation on films like Green Lantern, I am Legend and Alice in Wonderland just to name a few.

                                                    Marco Marenghi and Peter Lowey



Marco presenting the award



                                                        Inside Sydney Fox Studios

After the awards night I spent 3 days visiting Animal Logic Studios who are busy wrapping up production on The Lego Movie which is coming out early 2014.  I can't talk about much, but the Lego movie looks amazing as well does the new secret projects they have in the works.

Most of my time there was spent under the wing of CGI legend Rob Coleman who is known for his animation Director work on all three of the Star Wars prequel films as well as other big films like The Mask and Men in Black, he also spent many years working at ILM.


Peter Lowey and Rob Coleman (notice the ILM shirt)


I was fortunate to spent a lot of time with Rob, he taught me quite a bit during my time there, from watching him Direct a team of animators to his advice on scheduling production and working with others.  He said that being a Director is also like being a part time psychologist.  I can imagine that being true to direct a bunch of animators.

His other great advice was from his experience with working with George Lucas, which was that it's sometimes best to sit back in the background , be quiet and listen, and that doing that helped him get hired by George.

I also spent time with Grant Freckelton (Production Designer on Lego Movie) who was in the last mad rush of days before deadline for The Lego Movie.  Watching Grants strong work ethic and his eagle eye for the slightest imperfection on the screen was pretty amazing to watch.
Big thanks to Animal Logic for having me as a guest and seeing all the great work they are doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment